Software on GNU/Linux
« tiếng Việt »
Software that I write are located on this page:
The list below are tools that I use daily on the computer.
These software are free. Free as in freedom, not price. Even though no one is charging you financially when using these tools, do consider supporting them if you feel that they are useful.
These are basic software that are in the GNU/Linux operating system.
- Grub - bootloader.
- Linux - the kernel itself.
- BusyBox - basic tools.
- X11 - window system.
- Picom - compositor for X11. (transparency windows).
- DWM - window manager.
- SlStatus - status bar that shows computer statistic.
- St - terminal emulator.
- Nnn - file browser.
- GnuPG - security tool.
- Slock - lock the computer and pop out for lunch.
These are software to work with written characters.
- Vim - text editor (god like speed).
- Pandoc - convert document’s format.
- AfterWritting - render screenplay from ‘.spmd’ script to ‘.pdf’. (Java & Web).
- Zathura - read documents. (‘.pdf’ mostly but there are plenty of plugin for other formats.)
- GNU bc - basic calculator.
- LibreCalc - matrix/spreadsheet calculator. (not very fast.)
These are software to work with audio. Linux has lots of software to work with music but I haven’t got time to explore yet.
Pictures (2 dimension)
These are software to work with still pictures.
- Sxiv - look at them. (super light.)
- Feh - look at them & change the screen background.
- ImageMagick - basic image editors (bitmap).
- Gimp - advance image editor (bitmap).
- DarkTable - image editor (bitmap RAW).
- Inkscape - draw (vector).
These are software to work with film footages.
- MediaInfo - read technical metadata.
- Mpv - watch films.
- Ffmpeg - edit using terminal. (mostly to transcode.)
- Blender - edit, vfx, e.t.c.
Object (3 dimension)
These are softwares to work with 3D objects.
These are softwares to work with networks.
- Traceroute - trace where info coming from.
- Bind9 - domain name tools.
- Net-tools - network tools.
- Apache - web server.
- Surf - web browser.
- Newsboat - read news.
These are softwares to work with E-mails.
- Postfix - server E-mail transport agent (to server).
- Dovecot - server serves E-mails (to clients).
- OpenDKIM - server verify E-mails identity.
- Spamassasin - server filters E-mails.
- NeoMutt - client send & receive E-mails (to server).
These are softwares to work with Instant Messaging (IM).
- Prosody - IM server for XMPP protocal (c2s).
- Profanity - IM client for XMPP protocal (c2s).
- Gajim - IM client for XMPP protocal (c2s).
- Toxic - IM for TOX protocal (p2p). (no, not Britney Spear.)